The Coeur d’Alene Public Library – in partnership with the City Parks Department – will lead a tour of the historic Forest Cemetery Sunday, Aug. 22, beginning at 10 a.m. at the cemetery.
The cemetery at 1011 Government Way was originally owned by the U.S. Army from 1878 to 1901, for use by Fort Sherman troops. The remains of about 100 soldiers and their families were moved to Ft. Wright near Spokane in 1901 when Ft. Sherman closed.
A proclamation by President Theodore Roosevelt deeded the original one-acre parcel and surrounding 19.7 acres to the City of Coeur d’Alene in 1905.
Forest Cemetery is the final resting place of Ed Pulaski, early day Forest Ranger and a hero of the Big Burn of 1910, and other historic local figures. At the gravesite, Forest Service historian Steve Coady will discuss Pulaski and the role of the Forest Service in responding to the great fire.
Sunday’s tour will last about an hour and will involve traversing grass and hilly areas in the cemetery. Parking in the cemetery will be limited and participants are encouraged to carpool, walk, or ride bikes to the site.
Anyone who needs accommodation to participate in a library program is asked to contact the staff prior to the activity by calling 208/769-2315. More news and information about the library is available online at cdalibrary.org. News about the library and other city departments is also available on the City of Coeur d’Alene news blog: cdacity.blogspot.com.